Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Plot Complexity (Why My Characters Don't Save The World)

I started writing a short story, and got about halfway through before realizing that I didn't like it and that it wasn't good. So I scrapped it. Oh well. One of the ideas I was actually toying with for today's post was discussing the process of writing, then editing, then deleting whole paragraphs and starting all over again. However, I came up with a better one while I was doing some writing today.

A friend asked me for a summary of the plot of what I was writing. I said something along the lines of "The main character struggles with his sanity and concept of reality in an insane world."

I was then told that I have a bad plot, it's too general, I need a more complex plot, my conflict needs to be more specific, my story would be boring, and that my writing was terrible and I should just stop writing and go die because I'll never amount to anything.

(Ok, so maybe that isn't exactly what was said...and maybe I hyperbolized a bit...but you get the gist.)

I disagree. The purpose of the plot is to provide a conflict for the protagonist. By far, the character is the most important element of any story. You can have an incredibly complex in interesting plot, but if the main characters are not gripping, then the story will be forgotten. In contrast, a story containing brilliantly crafted characters but that has a very simple plot can be both entertaining and memorable.

"But wait!" I hear you cry. "You're telling me the plot isn't important? That's preposterous!"

Well, yes and no. The plot itself isn't necessarily important; how the character acts within the scope of a plot is what's important. For example, say we have the story of Joe, who works as a cashier. That's pretty much what he does; he's not in college, he has no other job, he has no significant other. The entire story never goes beyond him and his job. It just goes over his regular day life.

Sounds boring, right?

Now let's change things. What if he's a kleptomaniac, and is stealing from the store and later having various mental conflicts over it. Let's also make him insecure, and internally questioning every move he makes. Suddenly, the story is potentially very interesting.

"But wait!" you cry out again. "That doesn't count! You changed the plot, you scoundrel!"

Yep. The previous scenario actually didn't really have a plot, as no conflict was there; I just introduced one. So what's the point? Well, the conflict, the setting, and the events of the plot (assuming nothing crazy happens) will all be very simple, and can be summed up in a short sentence; "An insecure cashier struggles with his own kleptomania." Very simple, but it has a conflict, and what can make for a very interesting character. Ta-da, you have a story!

Hopefully at least half of that made sense. My point here is that the plot doesn't need to be very complex, and the conflict can be a simple one. So if your plot involves the protagonist saving the world from aliens or solving the most complex crime ever, make sure your character is interesting, because honestly, that's almost all that matters.

I'll be back tomorrow with either some of my own writing, some more discussion on the elements of a story, or possibly some Lovecraft. Anyway, thanks for reading everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment